Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Santa Letters

We finally got around to writing our Santa letters tonight.  Rylee wrote hers herself.  With spelling help, she wrote "Dear Santa" at the top.  The she made a list of three things she wanted, but it was just a string of random letters.

Me: "Tell me what you asked for and I'll write it next to your word so we make sure Santa knows exactly what you want."

Rylee: "Oh, Santa will know what I want."

Me: "Can you tell Mommy and Daddy what you want?"

Rylee: "No!  It's a secret."

She was not making it easy on me!  It took some persuading (and a few disparaging remarks about Santa's reading ability), but I finally figured out that she asked for a pretty necklace, an Ariel book and a toy.  :)

Next, we worked on Jace's letter.  According to Rylee, he asked for a "chew toy."  She wasn't taking any chances with her brother's letter so this time she was trying to sound out the words before writing them.  Of course, the beginning sound 'chuh' is a blend so she needed some help with the spelling.  When she got to the word toy, Jon was about to spell it for her when I reminded her that she already knew how. 

Me: In my best Sheriff Woody impression, "You're not a real Space Ranger.  You are a toy..."

Rylee (finishing): "T-o-y, toy!"

See she does learn something from memorizing her favorite movies!  :)


2 comments:

Erin said...

Way to go Rylee!

Jess said...

That's pretty impressive!