Rylee's 1st birthday party was quite a success: the weather cooperated, Rylee had fun, she got awesome presents (thank you everyone!), and the cake was delicious (even though Rylee was really only interested in her "milk"). I don't have much time to blog before work so here's what happened before the guests arrived.
We had an ocean themed pool party so here is a pic of Rylee in her cute swimsuit and hula skirt.
A friend of ours had told us about a Chinese custom that takes place on the child's 1st birthday: you place the child in the middle of a circle of objects that represent different careers - whatever the child picks is supposed to predict their future aspirations. Here's Rylee sitting inside the circle:
Here are the objects:
purse - fashion designer
microphone - singer
hedgehog - veterinarian
makeup brush - makeup artist
money - independently wealthy!
pen - writer
calculator - accountant
camera - photographer
apple - teacher
airplane - pilot
ballet shoes - dancer
thermometer - doctor
medicine syringe - pharmacist
shot glass - bartender/ rum drinker like Daddy :)
mouse - computer geek
toothbrush - dentist
book - librarian
beach ball - sports figure
She was really more interested in picking at her hula skirt and basically didn't move for 5 minutes. I removed the hula skirt and stood her up in the circle hoping that would encourage her some. She proceeded to stand in the circle and look at all of us for another 5 minutes. We've decided this means she really doesn't want a career. Let's hope she marries well! :)
Finally, I sat in the circle with her and she begrudgingly picked up the toothbrush. I guess dentistry will be her backup plan.
More bday details to come...

4 comments:
That is too too cute!!! Happy birthday future dentist, Rylee!
Just stopping by to say Hello! My little girl's 1st birthday is in a couple of weeks :)
Maybe she didn't like the options presented. She needed more choices!
I know, she need a rock so she can be a geologist! :)
Happy Birthday Rylee! I can't believe you arfe a year old already!!!
Post a Comment