Yesterday was Jon's birthday, but in my family you celebrate birthdays for 2 days... (this all stems back to when my Mom used the 2 day birthday celebration as an excuse not to go out with a guy - it was a lie then, but we've made it true over the years)... so Friday night my Mom made a delicious scallops dinner and Jon opened his presents. (Technically Jon celebrated for 3 days since we had an early birthday when his parents were here too.) Anyway, he loved his gifts. He's using one of them now - a jerky gun that allows you to make hamburger into jerky. This batch is venison hamburger. (The man loves his jerky!)
Yesterday, Rylee gave her Daddy her gift of napping so we could lie out by the pool for an hour. Then Grandma and Grandpa came over and babysat so Jon and I could go out on the town. First, we hit Bass Pro Shops so Jon could buy a new rifle with his bday money. That took forever. It was a little like buying a new car. I now realize why they have the 5 day waiting period. If they gave you a firearm after that experience, you might decide to use it!
Then we headed out to the beach and had dinner at Bubba Gumps. It was a beautiful night. We sat next to the waterfall and watched the freaks walk, run and roll by. After dinner, we strolled the boardwalk to Beach Place and back. It seems the Ft Lauderdale beach area has been revitalized. All the shops are open again. Tons of new restaurants and bars are open. It was nice to see all the activity.
One interesting story: we parked in the pay lot next to Elbo Room and managed to get a spot right on the street. On our walk to beach place, we saw a family had set up chairs in the grass right in front of our car and were having a picnic. I thought it an odd location, but it's about the only place that's not sandy so I'm guessing that was the appeal. On our way back, they had finished eating and the two little girls (about 7/8 years old) were "dancing" to the radio. I use the term "dancing" liberally considering it looked more like auditioning at a strip club. The parents were laughing away at their suggestive moves, but Jon and I (and the crowd on the sidewalk) were a little appalled. It's one of the most disturbing things I've seen lately!
Well, I must run. Rylee is sleeping in her swing so Jon and I are going to attempt a quick cut and shampoo for Rio (whose grooming has been severely neglected since the arrival of her baby sister). Happy Sunday!
1 comment:
Happy belated b-day to Jon!
Post a Comment