Friday, October 24, 2008

Out of the Closet

Today I cleaned out my closet and packed away all my maternity clothes. Not sure why I'm saving them as Jon says we're never having more children after this! I guess I'm hoping that's just the sleep deprivation talking.

Even though I hadn't been wearing any of it for the last 5 weeks, it felt great to get it outta there and I found all kinds of great things hidden underneath. (Like this awesome pair of capri/shorts that I had completely forgot I owned. They're like brand new again!)

I was able to do this closet makeover because Rylee had a fantastic Friday. That's two good days in a row. Previously she had been on an every other day pattern so it was a nice surprise.

I'm hoping she starts to feel better soon because her misery seems to be affecting her progress. My baby weekly email says she should be smiling more and making two syllable coos. She only sports about one smile a day (she totally prefers the pout) and has really only coo'd twice. I told her she's gonna need to focus and work harder or she's never going to get into our Ivy League college of choice.

About the only thing she shows interest in at this point is the big red wall in our bedroom. She can lie on the changing table and stare at that for half an hour. She likes Jon's art wall in her nursery too. (Or maybe it's just the changing table she likes. I'm thinking of putting it right in the crib if need be!)

Two random observations:
1) I know babies are all cartilidgey and stuff but are their little arms and legs supposed to make more snap, crackle, pops than the cereal? When she moves she sounds like she's coming all unhinged.

2) (Must read with your best Chandler Bing impression.) Could there be any more snaps on those footie pajamas? Not only is it time consuming but you need a degree in engineering to get them all lined up properly on the first try. The legs are especially challenging considering Rylee does the Running Man anytime she's on her back. You gotta snap in motion!

Well, I should really be taking advantage of her sleeping. I guess it's lights out for me too. Yawn! Nighty-night...

5 comments:

MN Mom said...

That snap, crackle, pop thing gives me the willies! It sounds like my joints.

Jess said...

All babies develop differently, so just because she's not right on schedule doesn't mean a thing. I didn't walk until I was 13 or 14 months old (when you're the first kid, you get carried everywhere, who wants to walk?), and now look at me. I'm running all over the damn place!

And as far as those damn footy pajamas, they do need to improve upon that technology. A zipper or velcro or something, c'mon!

Erin said...

We had zipper pjs and they do not work well. Velcro wouldn't hold with the furry of those limbs flailing. Snaps are a bitch but Miller is starting to wear clothes without them and believe me, easy access was much easier even if you had to curse a few times when things didn't line up.

Don't wig out about progress, Jess is right. All babies develop differently. The pediatrician is good at observing and explaining if things are out of the norm (early or late). I figure if she can scream like you say she can scream, she has good lung development. Coos will come once she settles down and learns life is grand when you are a baby.

mom2ET said...

Babies are not good at multi-tasking. They only focus on one thing at a time. If they are busy walking, you don't hear much on the language front. They also tend to get freaked out by change, so they get a little more irritable before a big growth spurt or developmental milestone.

It is way to challenging to think of anything else when you are in pain every time you eat. Once she gets the tummy stuff under control, she will be ready to tackle physics and advanced trig.

As for the jammies, try zipping delicate baby thighs into a zipper and then try snapping a moving target. It is worth the few extra minutes.

Rima and Kevin said...

Zipper jammies are the way to go. I think most of our snap ones stayed in the drawer for precisely the reason you mention. Zippers are easier in, easier out. Just watch that you don't get the pudgy baby fat caught in it!