Saturday, August 15, 2009

Saturday Screwups & Successes

It's a blah rainy day here in SoFla so I thought it would be fun to take Rylee out to lunch. Jon picked Burger King since he had a coupon for a new sandwich that he wanted to try. We strapped Rylee into her car seat (put her shoes on - just in case!) and I hopped behind the wheel. My brain hasn't been functioning on all cylinders today so there was a moment of confusion as I tried to figure out if I was turning on the lights, putting the windshield wipers on or starting the car first.
With that behind us, we were on our way...

...to McDonald's. At this point, Jon really started teasing me. I turned the car around and we were off...

...which was about the time the torrential downpour hit. We had to sit in the BK parking lot for a few minutes, but finally we made it inside...

...when the power went out. It kept flickering on and off which kept turning the registers off. We waited several minutes which meant we had plenty of time to study the menu. Hmmm... Jon couldn't find his sandwich. He pulled out his coupon and guess what...

...it was for McDonalds! BK didn't seem like they were going to be serving food anytime soon so we headed back out to the car and we on our way again.

We got to McyDs and almost had another incident when we found out that there debit machines were down. But thanks to a rare turn of events earlier in the week, I actually had cash and saved the day.

Who knew it could take 45 minutes to get lunch when McDonalds is just right around the corner?

**********In Rylee news: she took her first step today! I still think walking is a ways off, but this was the first time she's been brave enough to take a step when she wasn't holding on to anything. Here's how it all went down...

Jon had been walking her around holding both her hands above her head (we call her Coco the Monkey when she walks like this). Then I suggested he go down to holding one hand. After a while, he let go of that hand too. She was standing there and you could see her internal struggle of wanting to keep walking, but being a little too scared to try. She bounced her knees up and down a couple of times (presumably building up courage) and then... step. I think she walked with her left foot and then kind of brought the right foot up to meet it. At that point she knelt down again, but hey it's a start! :)

6 comments:

MN Mom said...

Lilly and I knew Micky dees was going to be the place! Funny!

How cool that Rylee was brave enough to try walking. Maybe she is more like daddy than we think!

Carol said...

Hillarious! I have had days like that myself! Yay Rylee - I wouldn't be so sure that walking is that far off - she'll be running before you know it! :)

mom2ET said...

If Rylee is going to start walking we will need to send her some fabulous boots. The hot pink cowgirl boots are size 5. We had to buy these in 3 sizes so that she never outgrew them. Now we have moved to the Hannah Montana cowgirl boots.

Now the fun will really start.

katie said...

Go, Rylee, Go!!

That is so funny about the MacDonalds/BK coupon.

Jess said...

Congrats on the first step! Yay!

We got caught in one of those torrential downpours yesterday too; it was wild out there!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa is so proud. Can't wait to see you at the birthday party!
Miss you guys and will really be sad when Mom leaves tomorrow!
Love Dad