Today I'm starting with a post about my great-grandma Esther (or Grandma Sandstrom - what I knew her by as a kid).
I've posted about her before and the special Swedish sayings that we still continue to use in her honor. Here's one that I haven't had a chance to blog about yet. It's a little Swedish ditty that you act out on a baby's toes (like the piggies & market one).
lilltaa (pinky toe)
tatilla (next toe)
tillerosa (middle toe)
mack frua (next toe - means something like wife)
och gubben stor (big toe - means something like big old man or farmer)
opp'i vare (big toe again - means something like proud man or standing up in the air)
Rylee loves this game. She makes you do one foot and then the other over and over again. And if you ask her to find her gubben stor... she grabs her big toe. Too cute!
I always think of my Grandma Sandstrom when we play this. I can't wait till I can teach Rylee to shoddish - a dance my great-grandma loved to do when we all got together. Rylee just needs to learn how to hop first!
One last picture: this is Grandma Sandstrom and my cousins Ben, Katie and myself. In case you don't recognize me, I'm the one wearing the rainbow shirt. :)
2 comments:
I really like the name Esther.
I like you in your rainbow shirt :)
I always wondered why we called her Grandma Sandstrom until her death and beyond when she was only married to Sandstrom for a year before he died but she was married to my Grandpa Larson,for 40 or 50 years. Go figure.
But whatever...I sure miss her and her zest for life. No one was more fun--she was always the life of the Parr-Ta! (As Rylee says it.)
Post a Comment