Sunday, August 16, 2009

19 Steps

Rylee took 19 steps today! Yea!

As impressive as it was, it was also hilarious - sort of like watching Tim Conway's character from the Carol Burnett show, a lot of footwork but not much forward progress! (Though she looked more like a drunk zombie than an old man.)

When she walks assisted she picks up her feet... left, right, left right, but I've noticed that she hasn't quite grasped that every-other-foot-concept when walking independently. Sometimes she would keep moving the same foot forward. I called this the Zombie Shuffle. (Add in a few arm movements and we've got a Thriller video remake!)

I'm very excited that both Jon and I were home to witness it. I think she wanted to get that first over before I went back to work tomorrow. She knew I'd feel bad if I missed it. :)

Speaking of work:
Since last Spring, I've been planning to take my friend's (the school librarian) maternity leave for the first three months of school. Last Monday, the school called and said that the District was taking those positions and filling them instead - thus I was out. I was bummed. They called back two days later and said that I was back in - sort of. They want me to start the school year (scheduling, planning, all that jazz), but can't promise how long the assignment will last. It may only be a few weeks or it might be for the whole leave like I'd planned. It all depends on what the District decides to do with the position long term. (There's an issue because I'm on leave, not on surplus, yada yada, I won't bore you with those details.) So far now at least, I'm heading back to work tomorrow. Guess I actually have to set the alarm clock! :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

Good job Rylee!

Grandma better be returning with her tennis shoes on. This baby's on the go!

Jess said...

Awesome job Rylee! Did you get it on video at all?

Sucks about school yanking you along like that, but I guess something is better than nuthin!

Rachel O'Donnell said...

Good Luck with school, I hope it all works out!! I hate that 'up in the air' feeling with jobs -