Thursday, August 27, 2009

Pet Peeve

Why do kids pick at their table numbers (which are taped to the middle of the table)? I've seen 9 different classes a day for four days now and everyone of them does it - doesn't matter what grade, boy/girl, etc.

I just taped my table numbers down on Monday morning and they are already almost destroyed! Is duct-taping kids' hands to the table frowned upon? :)

6 comments:

Jess said...

I can't criticize them; I'd probably do the same picking.

mom2ET said...

Taping hands to the table is fine. Taping hands behind their backs would be considered a civil rights violation.

MN Mom said...

Why do grown-ups sit in wicker/cane chairs and pick the wicker? Go figure.

Laurie Ferraro said...

My three crazy kiddos would have them ripped off within the first 2 seconds of sitting down!

Carol said...

I have no idea - but it seems to be human nature to pick at anything sticker-like and to push anything button-like. Waaay back when I used to work in the Space Discovery store, we had a display with an astronaut suit. There were several buttons on the railing you could push and a voice recording would explain certain things about the suit. EVERYONE pushed the buttons - all of them. And the kids pushed all the buttons over and over and over and over again. Same thing with any of the toys that made noise that were on display. EVERYONE had to try them out! Used to drive me NUTS! :)

Jenny said...

I can't stand it either. I learned during student teaching a trick that might help...I tape name tags to the front of the desks. I figure by third grade they know their names. If you stand in the front of the room you can see the names on each desk. It helps guests in our room (and me in the beginning of the year) and it means the kiddos have to really work to pick at them. = )