Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Weird Wednesday

**I just noticed that Monday's post was my 666th! No wonder I felt compelled to write about all my Rio/Rylee drama. Then again, today's post would have made an interesting 666th as well...

I like to frequent a quiet, out of the way park because... it's quiet and out of the way! Possibly it's too quite at times.

When I first arrived today there was an older couple walking around, a guy using the exercise stations, and a maintenance guy using the dreaded leaf blower. Rylee turns into a "clingon" whenever she hears one (i.e. wraps her arms around my neck in the protect me choke hold.)

After a while, I managed to peel her off and get her into the swing. I was just standing there taking in the surroundings when I noticed:

1) The older couple had left.
2) The lawn guy was finishing up and starting to load things into his truck.
3) This would leave me alone at the park with the exercise guy.
4) A guy that drives a white panel van with blacked out windows.
5) A guy who is working out in long sleeves, long pants, combat boots and heavy duty gloves.
6) A guy who is carrying a large, heavy dumbbell.
7) A guy who is watching us and making his way around the exercise circle in our direction.

My mind weighed the two options:

Could be he's a nice guy who likes to work out and wears heavy boots for resistance and warm clothing to help him sweat out his toxins.

Could be he's planning to bludgeon us to death with his dumbbell and haul us off in his panel van.

With only a minute to decide, I erred on the cautious (possibly paranoid) side and get the heck out of there!


**If Rylee only knew that, in my mind, the only thing standing between us and certain death was a man with a leaf blower, maybe she'd feel differently about the machine!

4 comments:

Rachel O'Donnell said...

Oh I hate that feeling!! I would have left too. I love going to parks too, but there is a fine line between being too crowded and too empty (and creepy!)

Jess said...

That's why you need a light saber in your purse. Just in case.

MN Mom said...

You did the right thing! Always play it safe. If no one is there...too scary.

Jenny said...

Don't you always feel like you are in a bad TV movie as you assess the situation? The one where you are yelling at the TV for the character to just leave already...