Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year!

I'm stealing a post out of Jess's blog and looking back at some of the decade's highlights before ringing in 2010...

2000 - Jon and I moved from Houston, TX (where we lived for a year after graduating from Bemidji State University - that didn't quite make the decade!) to Ft. Lauderdale, FL. Jon and I both started working for Motorola (where he still remains today). My career path has a few more twists and turns. :)

2001 - Jon and I took a trip to the Bahamas and stayed at the Atlantis Paradise Hotel. Amazing! Expensive, but amazing! Motorola announced the move of their factory and their lack of need for my materials planning analyst position, but it would be another year before they really let me go.

2002 - Jon and I bought our current home in Sunrise. Motorola laid me off in the fall, but with bonuses (to stay through the move) and unemployment, it was the one time I actually made more money than Jon! :) Santa brought us a new addition to our family - Rio!

2003 - Motorola hired me back (after my two month absence) - this time as a marketing planner. I celebrated my "diamond" birthday on 3-3-03.

2004 - The darkest and most difficult year of the decade: my life was forever altered after the death of three of my family members. I took a leave of absence from Motorola and Florida as well. Jon was understanding enough to let me move home for a few months to help my Mom finish out the 60th year of business at the resort. When I returned in the fall, I didn't return to Motorola. I started making my transition into teaching instead.

2005 - After subbing in the spring, I started teaching Kindergarten full-time the following school year.

2006 - Jon and I celebrated my 30th birthday and first Spring Break from school with a trip to Vegas. We didn't gamble, but it was a fantastic trip regardless. I love the Bellagio fountains! Jon even took me to see the Hoover Dam - a personal favorite.

2007 - I finished my second year of teaching Kindergarten. I started my blog. Santa gave us another addition to our family - though we wouldn't know it for while. :)

2008 - The most joyous and important year of the decade: being pregnant with and delivering my beautiful, healthy, silly daughter. I could fill post upon post about Rylee (oh wait, I do and have!). 2008 also saw the finish of my third year of teaching Kindergarten and the beginning of my leave so I could be a stay-at-home Mom.

2009 - was marked by Rylee's many firsts milestones including her 1st birthday! (I had a cool birthday too. My "platinum" birthday: 33 on 3-3.) I also returned to work for 5 months, this time as a librarian.

I welcome 2010 and my (soon to be) return to being a stay-at-home Mom. Mostly I'm excited for all the wonderful moments and changes that are in store for Rylee in the new year. I only hope this year goes by a little more slowly than the past one - she is growing up too fast already!

Happy New Year everyone! Thanks for taking a brief trip down memory lane with me.

2 comments:

Jess said...

What a decade! Hope the next ten years are filled with nothing but joy and happiness!

Rachel O'Donnell said...

Happy New Year Shannon! Looking forward to reading about Rylee's adventures in 2010!