Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tacky Twinklers

I love twinkle lights! (Actually I find the term twinkle lights confusing, since to me "twinkle" implies blinking and I actually prefer my lights to be of the non-blinking variety, but I digress as usual). I love to drive around and see all the fanciful displays. I get excited when I see people out working in their yard and can't wait to see what their creation will look like in the night.

That is except when I see our community's maintenance man putting up the common lights. I live in a fairly nice housing development with a gated entrance and a fancy European turnaround all lined with Royal Palms, yet every year my complex puts out the tackiest display of Christmas lights. They're scattered here and there, some white, some colored. I hate to use the term "trailer park Christmas" since I know and love my trailer park buddies, but I know none of you will be offended and will also know exactly what I mean. :)

I saw him putting the lights out yesterday and when I came home late last night after Girl Scouts, my eyes beheld the most interesting assortment yet. Although all the palms were wrapped in white lights (an improvement over the bizarre colored assortment of yore) each tree was unique if you took in the "twinkle factor." Some strings of lights were not blinking, some strings of lights were blinking. Some strings were blinking slow, some strings were blinking fast. Some palms had a string of blinking, non-blinking, slow blinking and fast blinking all on one trunk! I kind of felt like if I stared too long, I might have a seizure and drive off the road.

Oh well, most days I return home before it gets dark...

2 comments:

Jess said...

Well, the presence of lights must distinguish your development from ours because we get no twinkle lights of any variety.

Anonymous said...

Do you have a Homeowner's Association? Maybe you should become an active member in it and volunteer to plan the lights setup next year. :c)