Friday, December 21, 2007

TGI...Winter Break!

I made it. Whew! There were a few days there in these last couple of weeks when I wasn't so sure, but I persevered. Of course today was crazy and hectic (both at school and when I first got home).

I think I angered the phone gods somehow and now they are punishing me. Case in point: at school my phone is way in the corner by my closet (basically the farthest spot away from where I am teaching). Generally teaching isn't a job where one receives a lot of phone calls, but today mine was ringing off the hook. One time this afternoon it rang 4 times back to back. Actually, I had just enough time to hang up, walk back across the room, start to open my mouth and then it would start ringing again. By the fourth time this happened, I had to slap a hand across my mouth to keep from uttering an inappropriate expletive.

2nd case in point: when I got home, I made a call to my mother only to have the phone that I was using start to die. I switched to another phone to leave a message as I walked the first phone back to the charger. On the way, I could hear my cell phone ringing in my purse. I ran for it, but fumbling with two phones in my hand, I missed the call (turned out to be my mother calling back). I called her on my cell but then it went right to her voice mail (she was probably still leaving me a message). Three phones in hand, three phone calls, and still no connection - my phone frustration was at its peak. With no children around, I let that expletive fly. :)

What kind of sacrifice do you think the phone gods demand?... beating my answering machine to smitherines, making costly international phone calls... if you have any suggestions, please let me know.

There were some fun moments today: me and the kiddos played a lot of "educational" games, watched our play performance on the school TV broadcast (singing and dancing along to everyone's songs), and I scored lots of good holiday loot. Nothing too weird or interesting this year. I did get one glass elephant which I thought was a slightly odd choice. I mean is there something about me that says "hey, I'm an elephant fan"? I know the elephant represents knowledge in some cultures so I'm going with that instead.

Of the good gifts (jewelry, purses, bath and body type products and gift cards), my favorite was a note that one of my sweeties wrote me. I am typing her note below exactly as she wrote it(missing punctuation, kindergarten spelling and all), only the names have been omitted to protect the innocent. I, of course, could the read the message immediately. If you want to test your skills, see if you can decipher the message.

From P------
I like you miss p--ish do you like me miss p--ish be cus your the best chechr in the hod rid rod this the best chechr she loks prete you wut to see hr Hr name is miss p--ish love p------

3 comments:

MN Mom said...

TGIV
Thank God it's vacation!

Jess said...

That's a cute note. You should save it.

Anonymous said...

How sweet! That is really nice that you get gifts from the kids at Christmas. I never got any at the Community College, I wonder when that appreciation stops.

Sacrifices to the phone gods include, hmmm, maybe you need to toss the phones to Rio, I am sure you would not be bothered by too many calls then! Oh wait, that is sacrificing the phone, that is NOT what you wanted to do...but it sounds fun!