Monday, December 31, 2007

Drug of Choice

Everyone needs to escape sometimes - get lost in the mindless fog or adrenaline rush of a reality-bending trip. My drug of choice? Reading.

Though some may not see my choice as dangerous, those of you who share my addiction know the darker price we pay. That's right. It's an addiction like any other. I'm constantly and desperately searching for my next fix, looking to recreate a high or better yet... take it to new heights.

In order for the rush to be really good, I must immerse myself in the story sometimes losing myself and my reality for hours and days on end. Not something my non-junkie husband appreciates. Sometimes his pay-attention-to-me glare is enough to break the spell... sometimes not. I sympathize with his pain. I remember making the same plea to my mother as a young child. "Stop reading those romanicals," I would demand. (Apparently my weakness for reading was genetically inherited.)

I'm still chasing the particularly exhilarating and gripping high I felt while reading Twilight, New Moon and Eclipse. So far it has been unattainable, but at least I'm not going through an entirely painful withdrawal. There has been much to amuse myself with during the agonizing wait for the next push.

Just this week alone, I traversed the dark hallows and seedy underbelly of Dublin as a sidhe-seeing slayer and transported back in time to Grammercy Park circa the 1890s as a privileged socialite torn between honoring her familial obligations and following her heart.

What awaits me next? It could be a trip into the realms of dark magic where I must battle both personal and literal demons to restore The Order... or a shape-shifting experience as the coyote-girl who walks the edge of the preternatural races neither vampire, werewolf, nor Fae... I guess it will all depend on which spine I decide to crack.

3 comments:

Jess said...

This is exactly why I can NOT understand it when students tell me they dislike reading because it's "boring." Boring?! You get to see things and do things in places you may never get the opportunity to go to, through books. It's quite the engaging escape!

And I think the consequences of this "addiction" are far less severe than, say, heroin. Thankfully, my husband reads nearly as much as I do.

Erin said...

I like to read but very rarely do I get so immersed that I lose track of time. I must need to find better books.

I am reading Sweeney Todd right now and honestly, some chapters I zip through and others I skim because they are so boring. I just finished Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz and that was pretty good. I did get wrapped up in that one.

I think we may need to invoke book sharing again or at least have Jess give some names on a list since she doesn't share with me (and rightly so after having sworn for a year that I returned her copy of Wicked).

Anonymous said...

Ah books...I can't understand how anyone can live without them. It is a true pleasure to just hold a book in your hand and know there is another world inside just waiting to be explored!