Since I don't have a story to tell today, here are some little tidbits I've been meaning to share:
On my first Thanksgiving (on my own in college), I invited a bunch of friends to my apartment for Thanksgiving dinner. Having baked the pumpkin pies the night before, I got up at 6 am Thanksgiving Day to put in the turkey. Half asleep, I padded around the kitchen. I opened the pantry door for something, walked away and then paused. I walked back and opened the pantry door again. There on the top shelf was 2 cans of evaporated milk. If the evaporated milk is still in the pantry, what is in the pies?! I thought to myself. Two pies into the garbage and one emergency trip to the store later, I was back on track. The rest of the day was perfect.
Anyway, I know you're wondering why I'm telling this old Thanksgiving story... so I'll get to the point. The other day I opened the refrigerator to get some cheese. Closed the door, walked away, and paused. Went back, opened the door, looked at the cheese. There lay an unopened package of shredded Parmesan and I thought, Oh my God, I didn't put cheese in the salad I brought to the Froyd's on Thanksgiving! Not that it mattered, the salad was still delicious, but it was a weird Thanksgiving flashback.
Another tidbit that starts many years ago: When Jon and I were first dating, I made him a cross-stitch Christmas ornament of the Detroit Pistons basketball logo (it says Xmas 1992 on the back). Better yet, if you pushed the center it had a little music box thing-ama-jig inside that played We Wish You a Merry Christmas. Later when we were married and that ornament became part of our set, we would joke about it as we put it on the tree. Every year, we push the center to see if it will still play. 15 years later and it still works - must be the energizer bunny himself inside that thing! (That battery has long outlived Jon's love of the Detroit Pistons or the NBA for that matter.)
Last tidbit: On the radio today, I finally heard truth in advertising.
During the commercial, you hear this guy calling into a customer hotline.
He says something to the effect of: I love your cough medicine. It worked great on my cough, cleared it right up, but is it supposed to taste like trash bag leakings?
Lady on the line answers: Yes, it is.
Guy: Oh, okay then.
Then it finishes with a tagline like:
Buckley's cough syrup. Tastes terrible, but works on coughs.
It cracked me up. I love that they're being honest.
I always think the stuff they say tastes good, tastes horrible.
So can you imagine how bad this must taste?!
4 comments:
I saw a comercial on TV for that cough syrup and it was something along those same lines. Interesting.
Cough syurp-true story:
When I was young my doctor had me on this horrible tasting cough syurp every day. It was a treatment, back in the day, for asthma. (thankfully we've come a long way baby!)
Anyway that cough syurp was the worst. It was so think it wouldn't even pour. And I can still smell it if I think back. It smelled of molasses, licorice and motor oil! And it tasted lie it too! I never wanted to take it, once my dad threw it in my face because I wouldn't open my mouth. Then he felt bad so he tasted it...after that he couldn't even be the one to give it to me. As I got older I would pour it down the sink etc. One year at Girl Scout camp, I poured it spoon by spoon on a small pine tree just outside my window. And I swear to god, by the end of the week...that tree looked dead! I bet this cough syurp tastes like that one! YUK!
Cough syrup is an evil elixir that I don't think I could have lived without as a kid. Every year I would get allergies/that change in season cold that literally had me up all night hacking. I have had every brand, and every flavor. It tastes like butt but if it was a good one and worked...to be able to sleep was a beautiful thing.
Did anyone have that spoon/test tube thing? My throat closes up thinking about it but that was a slick invention. Much easier than the "spoon full" of medicine approach. It was in a tube you measured with with a spoon-like end so you could shot gun it down the hatch. My mother didn't allow us to drink any liquids after swallowing the medicine but if you were lucky, as she rinsed it out, she might give you one tiny shot of watered down medicine to clean your mouth out. Ah...how I hate getting sick.
PS-Shannon, was the pie year the year Ryan and I came over for Thanksgiving? You did a fabulous job that year with cooking and timing everything. I was amazed how much you cooked in that apartment and somehow managed to get it all done at the same time.
As for the cheese, I liked the salad without it and didn't miss it. ;)
Post a Comment