My dad had to return to MN today. Pooh! It seems like he just got here, but someone has to make the big bucks and my dad has always been a good sacrificer in that respect. Actually his biggest sacrifice is that he bought my mom a place down here so she could be closer to me and he lets her stay here for a couple of months at a time! (Just curious: is it horribly obvious that I'm a spoiled only child?)
It's a well established fact that my mom and I are best friends (we talk on the phone constantly when we are apart and spend all of our time together when we are in the same vicinity), but most people probably don't realize that I'm just as close with my dad. We may not gab on the phone as often, but I'm definitely a daddy's girl. When I'm stressed, confused, and needing advice, I turn to my dad.
I think it all stems back from my childhood. My dad taught me to be strong and competitive from an early age (no letting me win when we were playing slap jack and my hands were a quarter of the size!). He was the one giving me pep talks at my dance competitions. Like when I was at Nationals and I danced my solo 18th out of 20 girls. Talk about intimidating, but he came over, told me not to worry about the other dancers and their hoards of screaming fans, and I felt better. (I also leaped and high kicked my way to a 1st place trophy, but that's another story...) And who did you think I got my love of the Vikings from??
My dad and I have a tradition when we are parting from each other. Of course it includes hugs, I love yous and all that, but the essential part is that we watch the other person drive away. (It's something my grandparents started actually. When we would leave their house, they would stand in front of the window and wave as we drove away.) Every night when I've left my parents place these past weeks, I've looked up to see my dad standing in the front window giving me the goodbye wave.
Last night was the most important one since it would be the last wave before he returned to MN. I got in the car, backed out of the driveway and looked up, but my dad wasn't there. The adult in me said, "oh it's a silly tradition, keep on driving." The little girl in me said, "I can't leave without seeing me daddy in the window!" I reached for my cell phone, but by then he was there. I should never have doubted him!
Thanks dad for the wave ...and everything else you do for me!
3 comments:
Of course he was there...and even someday (a long long time from now) when you can't see us in the window--we will still be there--protecting you and watching over you! There is a lot of things we can't promise you but that I can promise you!
Please put warnings on your blog when it is going to be a tear jerker. This one made me tear up. I cry almost every time I leave my parent's house or they leave here. We don't necessarily wave when we are coming and going but we do when it is a long departure. I hope your dad had a safe trip back to MN.
I agree with Erin, you need to post a kleenex warning!!! (And so do you Mom! - Your's almost put me over the edge!) I hope I get a chance to meet your Dad some day! It has been FAR too long since I have been able to see my parents, a year and a half - fortunately I get to go home for a whole week at the end of the month!!!!
Post a Comment