Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sorry!

Sorry no posting for the last couple of days. I haven't been home in the evenings to blog. Good news is that means I've been out having fun!

Thursday Night
My mom and I went to Broadway on Ice. I had bought us the tickets as part of my mom's Christmas present but neither of us were that excited to go. Thankfully we were wrong. The show was amazing! I highly recommend it if it comes to your area. They had single skaters, pairs skaters, and chorus skaters all set to Broadway's biggest hits. The stage at the Broward Center was a little small so the skaters didn't have much room to build up speed for huge jumps or throws, but what they were able to do was still amazing. I loved the choreography. It was more dance-like since they needed to keep their movement smaller.

Highlights:
Dorothy Hamill. She still looks amazing and she is a very graceful skater. She was one of America's first sweethearts and they still love her 30+ years later. (Maybe Britney could learn a thing or two from her?)
Singing Guy. I don't know his name but he is the original and longest running Phantom from Phantom of the Opera. He sang many songs live while they skated. Wow! What a voice.
Piano Guy. Can't remember his name either. He was a comedian/piano player. He was hilarious! He did a whole riff on Ft Lauderdale giving us different versions of our own city song to choose from. My favorite version ended with the lyrics: "you even have your own Ikea store!" (shocking that I would like this one, huh?)

Friday Night
Annual dinner with Jon's Uncle Doug and his wife Barbara. They come down here to go on a cruise every year so we meet them for dinner the night before they leave port. It's always a good time. This year we decided to head over to Bass Pro and eat at the Islamorada Fish Co. I've never actually eaten in the restaurant side before. It was nice and the food was good. Interesting observation: the average age for their waitstaff is 55+ years old. Not something you see at most South Florida eateries.

Highlight:
The main focus of our evening involved deer meat. In exchange for a few good cigars, Doug brought down about 30 lbs of venison. (Add that to the 40 lbs we already had from Jon's deer he shot this fall and you have 7... a crapload of deer meat!) After dinner we had to meet one of Jon's coworkers for the second part of the exchange: we met in a dark parking lot and did a quick trunk transfer of 10 or so pounds of venison hamburger. This will eventually be coming back to us as smoked polish sausage. (Jon's going up to the guy's place tomorrow to help in the processing. We're hoping for a good turn out since the guy is 100% Polish himself!)

If anyone else is interested in procuring some venison, we'll be selling it out of the back of our SUV next to that van that sells stone crabs in Dania beach....

2 comments:

Jess said...

Sounds like you've been busy!

Erin said...

I wanted to go to Broadway on Ice but wasn't sure if it would be good or not.

I think that was Dorothy's last performance while she gets chemo. Brian Boitano will be filling in. She is so classic. I wish her well and hope to see her on the ice soon.