Saturday, March 1, 2008

Adventures in Dogsitting

Just clicked over to read my mom's blog and realized I had never blogged about dogsitting Angel. So here is the belated post. I already kind of composed it in my head. No counting sheep when I can't sleep, I write drafts of blogs. You'd think they'd be more entertaining with the extra forethought, but not so much. (I also worked out the format for next years Xmas letter a few sleepless nights ago...) Enjoy:

I've never considered myself to be very maternal. I'm an only child so I didn't help raise any younger siblings. I was the youngest of my cousins for the majority of my life and when my aunts & uncles did continue to have kids, I was grown and heading to college. I'm not even particularly a baby person. I'd rather you hold it and I'll just nibble on their toes. So I'm into baby feet, who isn't?

Luckily, I think pregnancy helps bring about your maternal instincts. Which is why I was able to perform Thursday night's amazing feat. About 1 in the morning, I suddenly awoke to hear that doggie pre-yack, stomach-gurgling, hack-cough. It's very distinctive as I'm sure all you dog owners are aware.

I bolted upright and following the sound reached my hands into the blackness where I perfectly caught Angel's puke between my fingers. No spillage, no need to clean the comforter. A little hand washing later and we were all snuggled back under the covers. Red alert averted!

5 comments:

Erin said...

I can't believe you caught it in your hand! I am not quite sure if that's a maternal instinct or just the fact you don't want to clean up dog puke at 2am. Over the years I can tell each dogs pre-yack alert and can come out of a comatose state just in the nick of time to drag a larger dog onto the tile or outside. Ryan usually sleeps through it or wakes up once it's too late.

Jess said...

Wow, I've been able to quickly wake up and lift Scooter onto the floor and thus ensure that he puke on the wood or tile, but I have never even attempted to catch his puke!

Ryan said...

heh, heh... I am gonna try to get Jon as loaded as I can and see if you can catch that!!

Crissy Rae said...

I'm usually able to grab Wilson and either propel him outside or make sure he stays on the tile but never did the hand catch-and in the dark, that's some talent there!

MN Mom said...

Seeing as you brought up red alert...I think you should do a tell-all on the real Red Alert!