I'm not sure where to begin... it's been such an exhausting and bizarre week so far - and it's only Wednesday! I guess I'll start back at Monday.
Monday
I had a truly relaxing weekend (the hubby had been out of town since Thursday for deer hunting in MN - he shot a 200 lb doe in case you were curious) that consisted of: watching all 3 of my Netflix rentals, reading 2 books, and watching a truly exciting and win producing Vikings game (I know, shocker!, I'd forgotten what it felt like to be happy after a game). Monday night was to be my last night of singledom. I was going to make myself a delicious breakfast-for-dinner (something my husband opposes, one of his few annoying traits) and settle in for a night of couch-potatoing and Dancing With The Stars. Oh, the best laid plans...
By sheer luck, I checked my email at 5:45 and realized I had a Girl Scout event that evening. Usually we meet the 2nd Monday of the month, but I had forgotten that we moved it up due to Veteran's Day and the school holiday next week. I have to be out the door a little after 6:00 in order to make it all the way east to their offices, so that shot my breakfast-for-dinner idea. A few minutes and one scarfed-down Lean Cuisine later, I was rushing out the door. Of course, it wasn't until I was halfway there that I realized I forgot my Girl Scout bag with the keys and alarm code etc. Crap! I turned around and raced back to my house only to get stuck in the event traffic that surrounds my community (the drawback of living next door to a stadium - stupid hockey game!). Get on the express way, go the other way, construction, it was a comedy of errors. Father Time must have done something to freeze the minutes, because I was still able to get there on time (technically two minutes late, but after all that I'm calling it on time!). Kickball was fun, but I've been limping on my kicking leg ever since. That rubber ball smarts if you kick it wrong! (I was a little happy when someone kicked it and got the ball stuck in a palm tree thereby ending the game.) I came home late, bruised, exhausted, and disappointed that my Monday plans had been changed.
Tuesday
Last night was another busy night. After Grade Chair meetings all day, I had to rush home to spend a few minutes with the returning hunter before heading off to my monthly Bunko game. Bunko was fun and I won back my money for once, but it meant another long night. And things only got weirder from there...
At 2:30 in the morning, Jon, Rio & I jumped awake to the sound of a crash. It couldn't be another car accident?? We've lived here for 5 years with no incident, now 2 crashes within 2 weeks! After pulling on shorts and t-shirts, we headed outside to investigate. Thankfully it was not our driveway, but our neighbors. These are our "rental neighbors", I don't think I've blogged about them before. They've only been here a couple of months and don't speak much English, so they extent of our relationship is casual waves from the driveway.
A white hummer had smashed into one of their cars (they have four, don't get me started!) they keep parked on the swale. This sent that car flying into one of their cars parked in their driveway, and then somehow back out into the street narrowly missing their other cars. The lady driving the hummer left (she later returned claiming she was not drunk and had just spilled her coffee and then left to get her cell phone which she still didn't have with her) so the neighbors on the other side were already calling the police when we got out. The rental neighbors are heavy sleepers apparently and still hadn't come out to investigate. After banging on the door, they finally came out. There was some humor as we watched the guy calling 911 try to explain that he wasn't responsible for the crash. He just kept repeating "I'm your neighbor" louder and louder as if that would help in the translation. When the white H2 returned whining and grinding like a swarm of bees with its wheel bent at an unnatural angle, I think he finally understood. After a few more minutes, we were just wanting to get back to bed. Jon looked around and casually said, "I think I'll grab the paper." He scooped up the newspaper and headed back inside as if that was the real reason we had come outside. I'm sure it was the combination of exhaustion and circumstances, but this struck me as the funniest thing ever... and I laughed about it for at least 30 minutes before I could get back to sleep.
Wednesday
I know this is the longest post ever, so I will make today's short. At about 10:00 am this morning, they came over the loud speaker and announced a Code Yellow lockdown with the words "this is not a drill." Not knowing what is transpiring on campus, I rush to lock my doors and email that all my students are accounted for. Later, I found out that a convict shot and killed a man while on transport and escaped. As a result, they put all the schools on lockdown as a precaution. This meant we were trapped in our rooms until 1:00 pm when he was apprehended... no leaving the classroom for lunch, recess, anything. Some teachers lucked out and were actually locked out from their kids (if there kids were in Specials classes) so they got a free planning day! Me, not so lucky!
Craziness! I need to check out my horoscope, my stars must not be properly aligned this week.
4 comments:
Wow what a week you have had! Hell week has nothing on you-drama dram drama!
All I can say about the crash is: TGTIDHYC!
Thank God the idiot didn't hit your cars!
That is a crazy couple of days.
There was confusion for students today at BCC, since they heard the news that Broward County Schools were on lockdown, they assumed that included the college. It does not include the college. We held classes as normal. Needless to say, I have been fielding emails all evening from students who missed class because they believed they didn't have class. Oy Vey!
I must live in a vacuum. The highlight of my week so far was a book sent to me from my friend Sheryl. I stayed up long enough to read the first 25 pages and went to bed.
Glad it wasn't your cars too.
Crazy week! I am glad that you all are okay other than being baffled by all the craziness. They should have some sort of plan to at least feed students if they do a lock down like that. They should give you guys emergency rations to keep in your classrooms: bottled water, granola bars, peanut butter and crackers, dried fruit, etc. I am sure the students were a handful!
I think you should tell Jon that you are going to have breakfast-for-dinner night anyway since you have had such a crazy week! (We had omlettes for dinner last night!)
Post a Comment