Sunday, November 4, 2007

So Delicious

I have to confess: I'm one of those people who doesn't do well with scents. I have a fairly sensitive sniffer, apparently I'm more like Scooby in that respect. (Sorry! I couldn't help it. I think I made a little challenge with myself as to how many blogs I could write with a Scooby Doo tie in.) Anyway, perfume of any kind makes me feel nauseous. This mostly occurs when I wear it myself - I don't want any of my friends to think they can't wear perfume around me - which is why I never wear the stuff. I also tend to avoid strolling through the makeup counters at the department store. That is like scentsensation overload! I come out feeling light headed and shaky.

Even scented lotions pose a problem. Bath and Body Works you tempt me with all your pretty labels and fanciful names, but I can't wear anything fruity or too sweet. (It's best if I don't inhale too deeply when I'm visiting their store either.) Luckily, I was able to find one B&BW lotion that doesn't make me want to crawl out of my skin, so I've been wearing Creamy Coconut lotion daily for the better part of a decade.

I'm sure most women hope their signature scent will be tantalizing and that every man/woman in the room will wish to devour them. My Creamy Coconut lotion takes this to a whole new level. Everyone who comes near me only smells vanilla and baked goods. Disappointing your co-workers after they come sniffing around the cubical looking for a Crispy Creme or Oreo cookie induced sugar-rush makes one surprisingly unpopular, but this is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Recently, I discovered that I can also wear Spicy Pumpkin. You can imagine my excitement. With Halloween and Thanksgiving in the air, I lathered up and headed out to work. As I strolled past some co-workers that morning I heard one of them comment, "I think someone is baking gingerbread cookies." I just smiled to myself and kept on walking.

3 comments:

MN Mom said...

Be careful some hunky guy doesn't try to take a bite out of you!

Jess said...

I'm allergic to some perfumes as well, and after years of working in restaurants (where I was forbidden to wear fragrances), I have mostly fallen out of the habit of wearing anything scented.

I like to believe I have a lovely natural odor :)

Anonymous said...

I too have a sensitivity to anything scented, perfumes, soaps, candles, etc. I have discovered it is the flower based (so maybe pollen linked) scents that are the worst for me. I have a HORRIBLE time on airplanes if someone nearby is wearing perfume.

I now buy a YUMMY handmade Key Lime Pie soap that a friend of mine makes. She also makes a matching lotion which I can use. I have also found success with cucumber melon soaps and lotions. I might have to try your spicy pumpkin. That does sound delicious.