Monday, November 12, 2007

Music Mood

I love to listen to music, especially when I'm getting ready in the morning. Although I have a couple thousand songs on my Creative Zen MP3 player, I rarely have it set to play all the songs randomly. Instead, I usually have 4 or 5 CDs that I am obsessed with and I play these for weeks even months until I rotate in new music (I'm worse than the local radio stations - no variety). Lately, the artists in heavy rotation have been Mat Kearney, The Last Goodnight, Colbie Caillat and a couple of self-created soundtracks (of various artists I have downloaded from iTunes and lumped together).

Today, I couldn't decipher my music mood. I tried listening to a couple of songs from each artist, but nothing was really working for me. I wanted something else. I wanted Christmas music! I know... pre-Thanksgiving... I tried to resist, but I could not. I picked an uptempo Chrimmus Mix CD made by DJ Master Froyd (Mr. AL-KO-HALL) and happily jammed away. (It's actually not entirely unusual for me to listen to Christmas music out of season. When I lived up in MN, I made Christmas lawn decorations for a few years while I was working my way through college. It was hard not to have Christmas on the brain... even in July!)

Listening to the CD got me thinking about my favorite Christmas songs. I prefer my Christmas music crooned by Dean Martin or Ella Fitzgerald (not today's pop artists). Here's my list:

- Favorite song to listen to (but I do not attempt to sing): O Holy Night
- Favorite song to jam to: Run, Run, Rudolph!
- Favorite comedic song: Santa Baby
- Favorite, Favorite: Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
(I prefer Ella's version, but Ms. Garland's is not bad either)

There's more, but my husband is giving me the eye. The get-off-the-computer-and-pay-attention-to-me eye. I guess, I have to go. :)

4 comments:

Erin said...

I have to say, the cool weather and the Xmas adds are starting to put me in the holiday spirit but I will not listen to Xmas music yet. I must refrain otherwise I will hate it long before Xmas comes.

Glad the Froyd mix is working for you. I actually wondered if he would purchase a new one this year to add to the collection.

Jess said...

My favorite x-mas song is "Rockin Around the Christmas Tree" by Brenda Lee. It's just dang catchy.

But I am also a huge fan of the Muppets and John Denver version of "Christmas is Coming." Mostly because we always listened to that *record* when we decorated the tree when I was a kid.

Anonymous said...

Halloween is over so it is okay to start listening to Christmas music a little - so long as you don't do it exclusively! I also LOVE O Holy Night, that is my all time favorite! I will have to think about my other favorites once I dig my Christmas music out of the boxes =)

MN Mom said...

Mama loves Dean Martin you know! But I add in Old Blue Eyes just to change it up. I also enjoy Dolly Parton.
You have me in the mood for the holidays!