Friday, November 16, 2007

Work Life

Taking another note from Jess’s blog, I decided to chronicle a day in the work life of me. It was a pretty typical Friday…

5:25 Rolled out of bed late (I can’t seem to wake up at my usual time these days). But since I normally arrive at school much earlier than necessary, I’m in no risk of being late.

6:45 Jon and I say goodbye to Rio, watch as she takes up post in her little bed by the front door (this is her duty post for the next 10 hours), and head out to work ourselves.

6:50 Arrive at work. (I love my commute!) Her are a couple of pics of me and my classroom.


Sorry the self-pic is a little scary. I forgot to take the mirror shot before I left home and although I have a bathroom in my classroom, I never use it. Little boys have aim issues so my bathroom always smells like a urinal. (I walk all the way to the front office or the library to pee.) Obviously, I wasn’t about to go in there for a photo op.

It was only 50 something degrees when I left for work this morning – that’s brisk baby and I love it! You can’t tell but I’m wearing a long sleeve shirt (what fun!) and a cool knit jacket from Target.
This is my classroom where I engage and inspire eighteen 5 and 6 year olds daily. FYI: this is my favorite time of day to be in my classroom. :)

7:55 Bell rings and the little ones arrive. Put the slaves to work unpacking their backpacks, unstacking the chairs, and hanging their seat sacks.

8:05 Please stand for the Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem!

8:10 Math: review three-dimensional shapes: cube, cone, cylinder, sphere; play colors and shapes bingo. No, you don’t have a bingo. You need to get four in a row… in a row, means in a line. Sadly, this is not the first time we’ve played bingo.

8:45 Thank goodness, it’s time for Specials. Have fun in art! Check my mailbox. Check my email. 30 minutes up already!

9:15 Walk in line. Faces forward, hands by sides, mouths closed. Time for Writing: i lik t pla on compooders!
Great sounding out!

10:00 Demonstration: How Squanto helped the Pilgrims plant and grow corn. Oreo cookie for dirt, candy corn for seed, goldfish cracker for fertilizing fish. Yum!

10:40 Time for lunch! Drop 12 off at the cafeteria, bring 6 successful spinners back for Royal Lunch. They earn tokens for good behavior and chances to spin the prize wheel. Yes, one prize is lunch with me. Surprisingly, it’s probably the most popular. It could be my winning personality or, more likely, the fact that I let them watch TV. (As a result of these Friday gatherings, I’ve developed a real fondness for the PBS cartoon Word Girl. She's a super girl who defeats evil with her advanced vocab and a little help from her sidekick - the lovable monkey, Captain Huggy Face!)

11:15 Theatrical reading of Cinderella complete with moronic step-sister and wicked step-mother voices.

11:30 Reading groups: b – a – t? b-a-t? bat! Some of these kids have obviously never watched Sesame Street.

12:20 Stood up by Book Buddies again. On Fridays, a 4th grade class comes to partner read to the kids… or should I say they doesn’t come? They don’t call, they don’t email, they just don’t show. Who knew 4th graders could be so rude?

12:45 Mister Rogers time: heels off, sneakers on.



Recess! Hey, it’s cool outside. I can stand in the sun without the fear of sweat stains under the bra line. Bonus: the kids don’t get sweaty either and they don’t come in looking like breaded chickens from all the sand stuck to their skin.
1:00 Calendar Math: let’s listen to the teacher sing off key - Macarena Months and Days of the Week set to the Addams Family!

1:20 Centers – go play!
Not you. You didn’t do your writing this morning. You’ve got to get your work done before you can have the fun!

1:45
Now run along home. Be helpful and kind.
Pick up a book to challenge your mind.
Go to bed early. Get plenty of rest.
So Monday at school you can do your best!
(music and lyrics by MN Mom)

Chat with co-workers, check voicemail and email, lesson prep and still out the door by 3:45… must be the weekend! :)

What do you think, Jess? Ready to trade those college students for Kindergartners?

4 comments:

Jess said...

Nope. I think I'll stick to the 18-19 year olds, thank you.

Great post. I liked seeing your classroom; I've always wondered what it looked like!

Erin said...

Jeesh, I feel tired just reading that post. I don't know how you cover anything in such short stints of time (granted attention spams are short too). I could post my day but it rather boring...Maybe I will today since I am not wanting to clean much more.

MN Mom said...

Any chance you could add a picture of your class? Or would a stalker get them?
Anyway your day sounds swell! Liked hearing my song too...
and nice sweater.

Carol said...

Whew, I could not do what you do! I think it is wonderful that you enjoy working with the little ones. It was fun to see what a day in your life is like!