Thursday, November 29, 2007

Celebration of ...Was It Worth It?

Last night's Celebration of Learning event meant that I put in a 13 hr day at school. My friend Lisa was presenting an awesome writing lesson and since she helped me last year when I was presenting, I wanted to repay the favor. The school was expecting up to 30 people per session (we were teaching three).

First session: 1 family (3 people).
Second session: 2 families (5 people).
Third session: 4 families (about 10 people).

Let's just say we have a lot of photocopies leftover. :)

Was it worth it? Yes, if only for the fact that I got to spend time with my gal pal and dish - something we're usually too busy for on a normal school day.

One funny story though: Lisa and I have very similar last names. They rhyme and people are often confusing us because of it. One of my kid's parents came in last night and was trying to pay me a compliment, I think. She was saying how she had talked to another parent on the way in and they had asked her who her son's teacher was. When she said my name, they got all excited and told her what a great teacher they heard I was. She worded the compliment oddly, like now she was proud that I was her son's teacher as if their opinion was what mattered and not the fact that I've taught her son to read and write these past months... but that's not the point. The point is, I'm pretty sure those people thought she said my friend's name so really the compliment was for Lisa! Oh well, at least my parent likes me... now... even if it is under false pretenses!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, at least she does like you and it is always good to hear that! Teaching can certainly be a thankless job, I am glad that she said something positive!

Jess said...

It sucks when people get you mixed up with someone else, but at least it was a positive mix up.

And it's better than people just plain calling you by the wrong name: I swear, my parents should've named me Jennifer, because so many people want to refer to me by that name.

MN Mom said...

Thank goodness the person your name sounds so much like isn't a different teacher-and you know the one I mean-because the reviews would not be as good as with Lisa!