Friday, November 30, 2007

Shift Happens!

My grandmother, who has Alzheimer's, doesn't recognize her reflection. She thinks she is about 35 years old so when she sees this wrinkled 80 year old woman staring back at her, she gets very agitated. We had to hang a curtain in front of the mirror to block the offending image.
I feel her pain. I'm only 31 3/4 old, but I am starting to not recognize myself. There is a lot of shift going on and I'm not sure I like it!

I'm still the same weight (well, maybe up a couple pounds due to the holidays and monthly water weight gain, but not enough for my pants not to fit or anything like that) and this is actually about 15 pounds lighter than I was in my 20s. Still, my butt seems wider and my stomach not so flat. I'd like to pretend it's an adorable little baby bump, but it's just a result of my absolute lack of exercise. Age spots are cropping up here and cropping up there, and no they can't pass as freckles. I don't so much mind the few gray hairs that I see sprouting, they are very sparkly and I do love me some sparkly things!

I've always been square-jawed like my grandmother and mother before me, but when did I start looking increasing more like Sponge Bob Square Pants? Add in the fact that I have not had my hair trimmed since July (I only trust my mother to touch my hair when it's long - don't want to end up with butchered layers) and that is one sorry sight looking back at me. Thank goodness my teeth are still straight and now even more sparkly white thanks to those delicious Listerine whitening strips or I might never leave the house.

I'm so not the type for plastic surgery, so I guess it's back to the basics for me. Less carbs, more exercise, blah blah blah. Then again, I was at Ikea last night and they had some very lovely curtains....

4 comments:

MN Mom said...

Now why didn't I think of the curtain over the mirror? My gray roots are an inch long, vibrant color gone from hair, gimp leg and cane, redness in cheeks without blush, I think they call that broken veins, and the scale hasn't been kind these past few months. I have extra curtains--they are going up!
PS I do think you need a hair cut...we must find you a stylist for when I'm gone. I am going to teach MR. Jon to atleast cut your bangs in my absence.

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate! As for the exercise, everytime I move I get out of the habit, gain a lot of weight and have to start all over again after I find a teacher I like. For the hair, all you have to do is go blonde, the grey does not show up! I am older and still have not found any. =)

Jess said...

Oh please, Shannon, you look great!

Erin said...

I don't want to hear it. I put on the 15 plus pounds you lost and worked hard to lose it to find out I am pregnant and will probably put on double that. We can talk shifting body parts after this alien springs from my loins. You look fabulous so hush :)