Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Just Like in the Movies...

When I told Jon I was pregnant, I did it so perfectly with a special prepared meal and planned speech... yeah, right!

It was five am on a Saturday morning and I really had to pee. I've taken dozens of pregnancy tests over the years and all have been negative so I didn't give it much thought as I tiptoed to the bathroom for my regular disappointment.

Seconds later I freaked out, ran into the bedroom, thrust the stick under my sleeping husband's face and screamed, "Do you see two lines?!"

Forcing his sleep-drugged eyes open, his reaction was: "What? Oh. Honey I think you're pregnant."

After gulping air and calming myself down (you'd think after two years of trying I would have been more prepared and less scared to death, but no), we shared a snuggle and some congratulations.

"We could go back to sleep," I offered helpfully noting the time was only 5:20.

Jon just groaned and hit me with the pillow. "Just like in the movies," he laughed. Needless to say, we got up very early that morning.

So I'm wondering did any of you mommies out there manage to tell your daddies in a nicer way? Though I don't see what could be nicer than sharing my pee on a stick...

8 comments:

Crissy Rae said...

Ah, that was cute! Movie material all the way. What a perfect surprise to start your weekend right.

Congrats again!

Jess said...

I think any announcement can be improved with a marching band, balloons, and a troop of midgets. But your method was also effective.

And I'm not sure Jon would've appreciated a marching band at 5 am anyhow.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATUALTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh, I am just getting caught up and I am SO HAPPY for you guys!!!! We have GOT to talk soon!!! I think any way that you tell him is great because it is the message that is important. I am sure he will never forget being woken up to such wonderful news.

Erin said...

We were uneventful too. I peed, I saw, I told Ryan (woke him up), we said congrats and went back to bed. No movie material in our house. We are all about the facts and keepin' it real. LOL!

MN Mom said...

I can't believe I'm admitting this but it was so long ago I have no idea! But however I told him he was excited I know that for sure.

Rima and Kevin said...

I (Kevin) made sure that we watched the line/no-line develop on the stick together, that way Rima didn't have to tell me. Don't worry, I let her pee on it without my help! We got to find out the good news at the same time. The line was a slight pink, so we were a little uncertain, but that changed after a few more tests and everythng became quite clear!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! BKR and I had a similiar scenario. I peed on teh stick and had to go lay down while Kyle watched it turn positive. Then we both had to lay down. I was taking the test to ensure I could take part in Halloween festivities without concern. Instead we got the good news and spent the morning conspiring on how to get out of the party scheduled that evening! SQKR

Rima and Kevin said...

Ok, how it REALLY went was this: I had peed on a stick in Hawaii a few days earlier and saw nothing. I figured there are two in a pack and hey, I've been a little sleepy and nauseated, so I'll pee on the other one. I set it on the bathroom counter to "develop" and Kevin and I went about our business, unpacking from our Hawaii trip. He then said, "did you look at the stick?" I said, "Oh, no. I forgot." So I wandered over, my eyes bugged out, I held it up, I squinted, then said, "maybe I'm pregnant?" We then spent an un-exciting and un-romantic 10 minutes holding it in different lights to see if there was really a pink line or if our minds were imagining it. We didn't congratulate each other. We kind of just were confused. Kind of sad for a doctor, huh? Thirty-six hours later, a much darker pink line on three different pregnancy tests appeared and we hugged/congratulated/celebrated. It seemed a bit anticlimactic at that point!