Since I've started blogging I've had some weird reasons for one handed typing - holding and/or entertaining the baby... before that lying on my side during my bedrest phase. Tonight's reason rank's right up there too: holding a rice sock to my eye.
Let me back up. Today I woke up with a red and swollen eye that throbbed uncomfortably when I blinked. I've been having some issues off and on for a week or so and obviously it wasn't improving on its own. I snagged an appointment at the eye doctor, called Grandma over to babysit, grabbed one of the many books I've been dying to read (one reason to love the long wait at the doctor's office) and headed out.
The first part of the appointment went well - read the chart... yada yada. (Did you know they've added numbers into the chart now? Just trying to throw us off, I guess. It was a little like The Wheel of Fortune before. You could practically memorize the RSTLNE from visit to visit and pass for 20/20. Well anyway...)
My usual doctor was away on a skiing vacation so I saw someone else. While I was waiting in the 4th room (my office is weird - you go from waiting room to exam room with the tech to a different waiting room and then finally the exam room), I was checking out the doctor in his photographs. Okay, that sounded wrong. Not checking him out, but scoping him out let's say. He looked kind of eccentric in the pics. He didn't disappoint!
You had to be there to experience it and it was mostly little weird quirks so I'll spare you the whole story and just give you one example: I'm reading my book while I'm in the "chair" waiting for him to make his entrance (which is from behind in this office). It's not like I'm so engrossed that I can't hear him come in so I close the book and put it on my lap as he enters. I'm saying hi and introducing myself (hand outstretched and all), but he bypasses that and without saying anything picks the book up off my lap and sets it on a chair. Technically there's nothing wrong with that, but I guess I would have preferred to hand him the book rather than him scoop it from my lap - kinda off-putting. Maybe I have personal space issues?
He doesn't see anything in my eye, but since I keep telling him how tender the lower lid/ tear duct area was he unapologetically pokes around for several minutes and then shrugs. He says it might be a "?" (he said the now mystery word a couple of times during the appointment, but hours later my mind has morphed it into "crustacean" and I'm guessing that wasn't it), but he can't really tell. Whatever it is, it needs to be drawn out so that's why I have to stick some rice in a sock, heat it in the microwave, and hold it to my eye for 5-10 minutes several times a day.
Oh, and not wear my contacts for at least a week or more depending on how fast it heals. Great. I usually rock the hip librarian look in my purple specs, but with the increasingly red and swollen eye I'm looking more like squinty Popeye the Sailor Man. Add to that Rylee's grabby phase (she managed to knock them askew twice today) and I'm also beginning to doubt their survivability. :)
*Very long story, sorry. Luckily, I was able to type the majority of it two-handed and even went back to the top and fixed the one-handed part.
8 comments:
Eye issues are not any fun. Hopefully the warm rice sock will work and you will be back to normal in no time at all. Glasses and a baby do not mix very well. Miller loves to touch, grab, and toss too. Maybe they just like us without them on?
That sock to the eye (popeye style) was only topped by the two tea bags with strings hanging out of your mouth and the dish towel tied around your head holding the ice packs on! (wisdom teeth pulled!)
Okay, I agree with you on the taking the book thing. That is just odd.
Sucks about the eye! Hope it heals up quickly!
Hope the eye trouble subsides quickly. Doesn't sound like much fun. And what ever happened to nice doctors who actually cared about their damn patients at least as much as their paychecks? I think they need to add a class in med school regarding patient interaction.
Chalazion? (lump in eyelid caused by inflammation of a gland--can resemble a stye). That's the closest eye word I can think of that sounds like crustacean.
They do have classes in med school dealing with how to be a normal, nice person (i.e. physician-patient interaction). I think it is more innate, though. You are either a wacko or you are not. I like to think I am not. You may have to ask other people to see if they agree.
Hope your eye is better soon! I would have issues with a stranger just plucking a book off my lap too. Every doc I have ever been to says, you can place your things over here, or let me take that for you. Hope the rice helps, though I would love to understand why rice?
It was so great to see you guys in Orlando! We had a great time! Can't wait to do it again soon and meet Rylee eventually!
Rice works because it holds heat for a long time. If you use a warm washcloth, it is cold and clammy before you know it. For styes and chalzions, we often recommend heating up some uncooked rice in a sock in the microwave and it makes a great warm compress (which encourages drainage). Careful though--it can get hot! Test it before you plunk it on your eye.
Post a Comment