Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Monkey Business

The day Jon and I found out I was pregnant, we went out to buy a present for the baby (kind of a tradition in my family). We hadn't been to the doctor yet, we obviously had no idea what the sex of the baby was, we were basically wandering the baby aisles of Target feeling kind of awkward. Without saying anything, we both suddenly reached out for the same item on the shelf. We smiled, we laughed, we knew they were the gift. (Sorry for the Hallmark "shmaltzyness." You can stop gagging now Ryan.)

They were monkey slippers. I guess they reminded both of us of this ridiculous pair of gorilla slippers I bought Jon back in high school. Out of some misguided sense of nostalgia, he has refused to part with them even though he has only ever put them on as a joke (5 times in 17 years give or take). For some reason it seemed fitting that baby and Daddy have matching slippers so they were purchased.

Oddly, after Rylee was born I was out shopping for a new bathrobe and I subconsciously picked a pink furry robe with monkey faces on it (you know, the one Jon likes to wear occasionally, I mean use as a blanket). Guess what? For Christmas Jon and Rylee got me monkey slippers to match.

I guess you can say it's all monkey business over here...




* You can see a little bit of my robe in the photo. In case you're wondering why I didn't post a pic of my full ensemble, I'll be honest: when I wake up in the morning it looks like a monkey styled my hair. Thank God love is blind.

** Rylee is wearing her "zeebra" jammies... made by Carter's, the world's largest manufacturer of non-proofread baby clothes.

*** Merry Serbian Christmas to the bohunks on the Range!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

That is WAY too cute! I love that you can all monkey around together...

Ryan said...

In the last picture it looks like Rylee caught a whiff on Jons stinky Monkey Feet!

Jess said...

Is it me or are Jon's furry, dark legs indistinguishable from the dark fur of his monkey slippers? :)

BTW, there's another MN blogger I read, Carly, who also celebrates Serbian Christmas! Small world, huh?

Erin said...

Monkey sex...is this how Rylee came to be? ;)

Crissy Rae said...

Lovin the monkey slippers, they are so cute. Jon's slippers are very manly so he doesn't have to worry about being too cutesy around you ladies. Love the robe!