January 29th is also significant in that Jon proposed to me on Friday, January 29th, 1999 - our 7 year anniversary. Here's how it all went down:
A note taped to my bathroom door informed me that he had orchestrated an elaborate scavenger hunt for me that day. I had to solve riddles and follow clues that led me to several places in Bemidji: (I have the worst long term memory so I'm not positive this is the exact order) Ryan's trailer (mailbox), Jon's workstation in BSU's model lab, the auto parts store where Matt Bahl worked, and lastly the hospital cafeteria where Ryan worked. In addition, the clues included algebra problems that when solved determined the time Jon was picking me up and a word scramble to reveal our mystery destination. This obviously kept me busy for the day while Jon was at school.
He arrived with flowers and wine. Then we headed out for a romantic dinner at one of Bemidji's swankier restaurants. I don't remember the name of it, again no long term memory. It was next to or behind the truck stop? You'll have to help me out here, you Bemidji-ites. (Next to the truck stop, sounds swanky doesn't it?!)
Afterwards, Jon had a secret spot picked out for the proposal so I had to cover my eyes for the drive (I think there was a blindfold that I refused do to my hair!). We drove to some park on the back side of Lake Bemidji. Jon wanted to propose on the foot bridge overlooking the lake with the twinkling lights of the city as backdrop. The only problem was the path was covered two feet deep in snow. Even though he had thought to bring my boots, I still had a hard time maneuvering in my dress and with my eyes covered! Jon finally just gave me a piggy back ride to the bridge.
I honestly don't remember much of the actual proposal. I don't think he knelt down due to the conditions, but you'd have to double check with him. I remember he took out the ring and was saying lovely things, but in my mind all I could think was don't drop the ring - we'll never find it again in this snow! The important thing is I said yes. :)
3 comments:
That is sweet! And the pictures are adorable! You were the totally 80s girl! How young we all were once, my how the time flies! Happy Anniversary! (And my hubby and I celebrate our dating anniversary too - of course it helps that it is on Valentine's Day!)
I have no idea what restaurant is by a truck stop in b-town.
But that is an elaborate proposal!
The Backyard. It's no longer there.
Yeah, I can't believe how quickly I remembered that.
Post a Comment