Saturday, November 3, 2007

Damsel in Distress

With Scooby Doo on the brain lately, I was thinking last night why Daphne was my favorite character and specifically what does that say about me? We all know Velma was the brains behind the operation, Shaggy and Scooby the comic relief, Fred the unnecessary male figurehead, and Daphne the damsel in distress. I know they tried to "Buffy-fy" her in the movies, but in truth, it's the original two-dimensional Daphne that I always identified with.

Why? I think it was her fashion sense that drew me in. I mean purple is still one of my favorite colors. I bought the most beautiful purple blouse the other day from Target. I also have a penchant for purple ink, it was kind of my signature when I worked in corporate (that way there was no mistaking my notes for anyone else's and I didn't even mind being labeled the "purple pen lady"). The Vikings wear purple jerseys... maybe that's why I've never been able to sever our destructive relationship (they break my heart every Fall and yet I keep coming back for more). Forget "puppy power," it's purple power for me!

And I guess I'm comfortable being a little bit of a damsel in distress. I'm a wimp and I know it. I don't do yard work, bugs or anything gross. I can't open a jar without gadgets, gizmos, divine intervention or human assistance. I once cried in frustration because I couldn't scoop particularly hard ice cream. (Ice cream is my drug of choice. When I gotta have it, I gotta have it now!) Thank God I married young, apparently I'm completely incapable to taking care of myself.

Well, Daphne mystery solved.

I don't even want to begin to analyze my affection for Smurfette, the only female in a population of 100 willing man-slaves with names like Papa, Handy and Hefty....

3 comments:

Erin said...

You went much deeper than I. I liked Daphne because she was cute. How can one resist a cartoon character with curves and beautiful red hair?

Jess said...

And see, I guess I liked Scrappy best -- Scooby's little nephew(?). I guess I identify best with the animals.

Which is also why all my fvorite toys were animals: My Little Pony, Pound Puppies, Popples,etc. And because of my brother, if I weren't playing with my stuffed animals, I was playing Trasnformers, GI Joe, of soemthing Star Wars. Never even owned a Barbie.

Ryan said...

Don't forget that you also allowed Jon to buy a purple truck.