After three years of teaching, I've managed another personal best for length of time to first cold. Nov 9th isn't too bad considering since Aug 20th I've been surrounded by 18 little germ carriers who repeatedly projectile sneeze snot into their hands.
Is projectile sneezing a talent that is lost to us as adults? I don't often see adults running with ooze dripping from their nose to their hand. Kids, on the other hand, seem fascinated by obtaining the maximum in stretch distance. (Again, thank goodness for my high tolerance gag reflex.)
This time of year, you could just put my voice on a continuous background loop like at the airport: "Get a tissue, wash your hands." Maybe I could also add one that would be automated to when the bathroom door opens and would say: "Did you flush the toilet? I didn't hear it flush." I teach so much more than their ABCs and 123s!
I'm a little bummed that my 3 day weekend is being tainted by their sickness, but at least this should mean I'll be healthy for the long Thanksgiving weekend. And I can use my stuffy head and sore throat as a get-out-of-chores-free card. I plan to do a lot of flat-backing, I mean recuperating, this weekend. :)
4 comments:
If you were married to Ryan, his comment "I know what would make you feel better" would be right after your "flat-backing it" comment. Watch yourself, Jon might try to sneak in a line like that. Those boys are always thinking about one thing no matter how crappy we feel.
Well, you haven't seen me with a drippy nose then. I have had snot literally ooze out and splat on the ground before I have time to react. Guess I'm that much closer to 5 year old behavior.
Jess, you are closer to the ground therefore gravity is acting against you. J/K! :)
That is pretty good. Working at a college exposes you to a lot as well. I also would get sick in the first few weeks of a semester! And then last year I volunteered at graduation, sure enough a week later I was sick again!
Post a Comment