I think Rio is developing agoraphobia. I'm not being facetious, I'm actually worried about her. This is a dog who previously loved to be outside and scratched on the sliding glass door furiously and annoyingly all day long to be let out. Now you can barely force her outside to go to the bathroom.
It all started a few months ago when she got into some red ants. Obviously this could not have been fun. Since then she has gone back and forth with varying degrees of panic about being outside. She still likes to be outside if there are people with her (though one person sometimes is not enough), but never asks to go outside herself and often chooses to use her kitty litter rather than do her business out back.
This weekend her panic has even moved inside. At first I couldn't figure out what her problem was, but since she was sitting next to me and shaking like a leaf, I knew something was bothering her. I wondered if there was a distant storm that I couldn't yet hear (she has always hated thunder and lightning), but the rains never came. Finally, I figured it out...
There was a fly in the house - a leftover party guest from Saturday! She's too petrified to be in the living room or to sleep in her pillow by the front door (I mean this is where she lives all day when we're gone). Instead, she's taken to sleeping in our bedroom all day. Normally, she hates it in there. She barely sleeps there at night when we're home and never goes in there when we're not. It's breaking my heart!
We've killed the fly. We even showed her it was dead, but she's still sulking in the bedroom. I think there is one fly still around somewhere. Hopefully, we can get that bastard too.
In the meantime, especially if the Dog Whisperer is reading, any other suggestions??
6 comments:
Pets are neurotic and hopefully she will get over it. I can see the red ant thing but the fly...c'mon Rio. Jazzy and Annie will show you how fun flies are to catch. Jazzy may even help you with your lizard hunting skills. Good luck!
Ceaser would say...don't feel sorry for her, give her possitive energy. Put her leash on her and walk her out side and around the house. Don't say "it's alright" and don't feed inot her nerousess! (sp)or however you spell that. Also he would say to create a possitive experience in the are where she is afraid...like chees ball in the back yard!
In a few weeks her and Angel will be together and she will run and play like normal!
Well, don't dress up as giant flies and chase her. I'd stop doing anything like that. Immediately.
Poor Rio! Keep trying to get her outside and hopefully she will get over it. Have you thought about writing a letter to Ceasar? =)
It might just be because it was windy as f$%k this weekend and she thought she was hearing thunder. Or maybe Dave pinched her on saturday....
PS I don't think the Dog Whisper reads blogs...he's too busy. email him with Rio's fobia...maybe he will come and fix her! He loves to help pregnant ladies in distress. Include Angel in your distress for the when the baby comes...might as well get her fixed too!
Post a Comment