Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hurricane Sunday

Imagine extension cords running from one end of the house to the other, buckets of water everywhere, the not so faint smell of swamp water. No we're not suffering through the aftermath of a hurricane (thank God for functioning electricity and air conditioning), we're simply in the midst of another major aquarium overhaul. The 4th (and hopefully final) stage: aquarium consolidation.

Today Jon disassembled his aquarium upstairs and moved all the corals from his two aquariums downstairs into the new tank. It was quite the feat (he started before 9 this morning and is still finishing up). Arranging the corals is like putting together a puzzle - you have to try each piece this way and that, here and over there. I think it turned out very nice in the end.

*Breaking hilarity: Jon just used his mouth to start syphoning some of the water out of one of the tanks (which he does all the time), but with everything all stirred up I think it was a pretty foul mouthful. He just ran to the bar, gargled vodka and then took a shot! Presumably to kill the bacteria? :)

He moved all the critters and fish too. Nemo found his zenia home and seems to be quite content. The Royal Gramma, on the other hand, is a bit traumatized. He found the first (and smallest) hole, disappeared inside and hasn't been seen since (with the exception of the tip of his yellow tail fin). Hopefully he'll adjust! We think we got every last snail and crab too. Jon even has me watching a paper towel of what we assume are abandoned shells just in case one of them is hiding and eventually starts moving.

Once the sand settles and the corals open up, I'll try to snap some pics.

*Unrelated: we remeasured Rylee and she seems more like 27 to 27.5 inches. I knew that 90th percentile seemed too good to be true!

5 comments:

Crissy Rae said...

I'm sure all that hard work Jon has done will reveal a beautiful aquarium scene downstairs. I bet he is loving that big aquarium, huh?

Jess said...

And they say fish are easy pets...

MN Mom said...

And he managed to accompany Shannon and Rylee to my house for dinner and hang pictures that I got for gifts from Shannon & Jon for Mother's day. They are great! Black and whites of my parents when they were in their
20's. And a picture of my three childhood horses running in the snow...wow I love it!

Carol said...

You'll have to post a picture of the new aquarium, sounds neat!

Erin said...

I think I reaped some benefits of that new tank ;) I am so excited for the Nano Jon set up at our house. Now I need fish!