Thursday, October 4, 2007

Funny Girl

I had my kids laughing their cute little tushies off today. This always surprises my husband because to him I'm really not that funny. I don't often come up with that perfect one liner (at least not until later that night when I'm home lying in bed). I am completely incapable of remembering or delivering a joke (but since the invention of email forwards, who really needs that skill anymore?). I guess you could say that I'm more likely to be the laugher than the laughee.

But somehow I've managed to find the exact right way to make a group of 5 year-olds erupt into uncontrollable hysterics: self-deprecating humor. They may not understand sarcasm, but my kids love when I make fun of myself. Pretend to make a mistake, stick a post-it note to your forehead, sing off-key, draw a horrible sketch (I don't even have to fake these last two - I have no artistic talents) and my kids will practically pee their pants. The best part is after they've had the fun of laughing at my expense, they shower me with compliments.

Teaching Kindergarten is very good for one's self esteem. I'm always their favorite, prettiest, bestest teacher ever!

2 comments:

MN Mom said...

I think you're funny! With or with out the post-it!

Anonymous said...

I for one know that you have GREAT artistic talent! You are one of the most artistic people I know! I still love the oriental painting you made for me! But I can completely relate about not being about to remember a joke or come up with a quick witted response. That seems to be as impossible a task as climbing Mount Everest. I take that back, I think I could climb Mount Everest more easily!