Today we had a teacher planning day so I was able to get almost everything prepped for next week. It feels glorious to be going into the weekend with so little on my "to do" list.
While working in my classroom, I decided to check out The Price is Right with new host Drew Carey. The Price is Right was always one of my favorite game shows. How could it not be? It's like 50 games shows rolled into one. If I ever got on contest row and then the big stage, there are a few games I would prefer: Plinko (how much fun would it be to drop that little puck between the spokes?); Safe Cracker (where you get to twist the big handles and pull on the ginormous vault door); the mountain man climber (not sure it's official name but the yodeling music cracks me up); and the dice game (when you roll the die and pick higher or lower to determine the price of a car... it's one of the more involved games so you'd get a little more stage time). As an aside, I was never a huge fan of the game where you had to ask "Gentleman, did I get at least one number right?" I did think it was cute, however, when in recent years they changed the wording to "Ladies."
Here are just a few of my random thoughts while watching The Price is Right today:
- T-shirts with homemade slogans, your college logo or your military affiliation (or better yet your entire uniform) are big "ins"
- most of the featured products and prizes are geared toward senior citizens (as are all of the commercials - each break featured at least one arthritis commercial)
- explaining the rules to the contests takes too long (we all know how to play, just get on with it)
- is Wilford (Wilfred?) Brimley still alive? ...if yes, why don't they update his diabetes tester commercial? (diabetes, another big one in the ads department)
- someone out there has a job that entails writing the corny scripts for the Showcase Showdowns
- Drew Carey is not that funny, but he did remind me to have my pets spayed or neutered
Speaking of the Showcase Showdown script, I have to tell you about today's. It was classically cheesy. Maybe that's why they wanted it to go with wine! It featured a Lucile Ball-esque character from the barefoot grape squashing scene. She was creating new wines: Spinfandel (the prize was a washer and dryer); Lardonnay (the prize was a tread mill to help reduce your lard - they actually said that!); and Pinot Greasio (the prize was a car obviously).
I feel sorry for the sad sack that had to write that. I'm sure he/she did need to consume several bottles of wine just to get through it!
2 comments:
Don't make cracks about those arthritis meds...I need those!
I have not had the oportuity ro watch the new show and now I do not think I will bother.
You would make a good critic-two thumbs down for Polich and Ebert....
I have neber once in my whol life sene the price is right. Am I actually missing anything? Isn't it just guessing teh price on shit? Isn't that what shopping is like?
BTW, we went to Ikea today -- couldn't get in. No parking. Had no idea that your needed a Swedinsh passport to get in that place! I was really looking forward to seom meetballs!
Post a Comment