Thursday, October 11, 2007

Happy Birthday Jon!

Sorry I couldn't post yesterday. Even though today is technically Jon's birthday, we started celebrating early. There's an old joke in my family that we celebrate birthdays for 2 days (as this was the excuse my Mom gave when refusing a guy who asked her out) so we try to make it true as often as possible.

Last night, we headed out to a Jai-alai match with our gang of friends (or at least those who could make it - we begrudgingly forgive those of you who could not) and were able to cross off one more item on our list of "things to do when you live in Florida." It's only taken us 7 years, but we did it. Bonus: it was 99 cent night (hot dogs, chicken wings, beer, margaritas). Though advertised as 99 cents, a surprising amount of things actually cost $1.00 - wtf? :)

For those of you who have never been, I would describe Jai-alai as a cross between: tennis, wally ball, track ball, and pong. It's a pretty simple game to follow, only the scoring seemed complicated. Or possibly it's just that all simple addition seems complicated to me after too many margaritas...

Numerous bottles of water later, I am feeling about ready for night number 2. Jon is impatiently waiting downstairs for me to post so we can open the mound of presents that have been shipped in from our geographically scattered family. First, I wanted to wish him a blogtastic 31st birthday. I don't know what I ever did to deserve meeting the love of my life when I was only 16 years old, but I thank my lucky stars every day.

Here is just a small sampling of his finer points:
- he makes me laugh out loud every day
- he takes care of Rio (by doing all the things I promised I would do if we got a dog, but don't)
- he's multi-talented and can fix just about anything that's broken
- he's not afraid to do the supposed "unmanly" things (buy tampons, color my hair, watch romantic comedies)
- he looks like Enrique Iglesias
- he is the most genuine person I know
- he's an amazing cook
- he puts the above skill to use a lot and doesn't complain
- he puts up with me!

I love you! Happy Birthday!

4 comments:

MN Mom said...

Happy Birthday Jon from your favorite Mother-in-Law!
And that last of your list..."he puts up with me" (you) That is why I love him! He put's up with you!

Jess said...

Happy Birthday Jon! Sorry that I was among those who couldn't make the celebration!

Carol said...

Happy Birthday Jon! Shannon, you scored a great guy! A fortunately he knows he scored a great gal! You two make a wonderful couple, it was truly meant to be! (And BTW, that is a beautiful picture of you on the beach!)

Rima and Kevin said...

Happy birthday, Jon. p.s. I always thought you looked more like Pete Sampras ;)

Kevin