Sunday, October 21, 2007

Camp Creepy

Picture it: 49 teenage Girl Scouts, 1 greyhound bus, a middle-of-nowhere camp "creepified" for Halloween, 4 hours of torrential rain, sopping wet clothes, wading ankle deep through a bizarre sand-mud combo, flooded out porta-pottys (sp?), an hour and a half wait in line for partially cooked chicken strips... At 7:30 last night, I was so over Camp Crappy...I mean, Creepy. I was wet, cold, miserable and ranking the day somewhere around 7th on my most un-fun experiences list.

By 8:00, I was engaged in a lively discussion with 4 girls about fantasy fiction, classic cartoons, and why I should consider leaving behind Kindergarten (where I don't teach a subject) for 8th grade something. By 8:30, the rain had stopped and my new gal pals and I were finally able to explore and enjoy our last hour at the camp.

I don't have too much else to say about that, sorry. Mostly I'm itching to get downstairs to start reading the book they recommended...

3 comments:

MN Mom said...

That day sounds right up there with the State Fair for me.

Jess said...

That sucks. I'm really sorry I couldn't make it(insert sarcasm).

You would be good teaching, like, 8th grade English! You'd be well-suited to middle school subject teaching. But then you have to interact with middle schoolers, ugh.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, what a day! Middle-school students are a special breed (all those new hormone things) and it takes a special, slightly insane person to be able to teach them. But then again, kindegarten takes the same thing in a different way! I am beginning to think teaching adults requires a different kind of insane! Maybe switching around between grade and age levels is what keeps us SANE rather than insane! Go for it, you can do anything you set your mind to!